Today was an interesting show — in an alarming sort of way. I started with the obligatory rant on the Michael J. Fox TV spot for Claire McCaskill. (Why not? Tim Murphy, Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly, and Sean Hannity spent most of the day talking about it.)
I’ll say again: Amendment 2 is deceptive, dishonest, and unnecessary. Contrary to what supporters claim (and what I’m sure many of them believe), the purpose of Amendment 2 is to create a constitutional right to clone human embryos. That’s ludicrous, and there is no good reason for Missouri voters to approve it.
People are catching on: Bioethicist Wesley J. Smith notes a new Survey USA poll that shows support for Amendment 2 is evaporating as people see through the misleading language:
Twelve days ago, in an identical SurveyUSA poll, Amendment 2 passed, 57% ‘Certain’ to vote Yes, 27% ‘Certain’ to vote No. Since then, ‘Certain Yes’ is down to 45%, ‘Certain No’ is up to 36%; a 30-point cushion on 10/12 is today a 9-point cushion.
In Central MO, the Amendment had passed by 32 points, now is defeated by 6, a 38-point swing. (emphasis added)
Ha! Never underestimate the power of radio!
At 5:30, we were joined by Steve Eichler, the executive director of the Minuteman Project. He talked about the Secure Fence Act, which President Bush will sign tomorrow. He thinks it’s a good start, even if the proposed fence does cover only 700 miles of the 2,100 mile Mexican border.
In the 6 o’clock hour, our guest was Dr. Hildegarde Staninger, who told us about a mysterious disease called Morgellons. Although many physicians believe it’s psychosomatic (one of the names of Morgellons is delusional parasitosis), the Centers for Disease Control just announced that it will investigate Morgellons.
– Morgellons Research Foundation
– Popular Mechanics article on Morgellons Disease
– ABC News story on Morgellons
– Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences Morgellons research page
– Morgellons: New Lab Findings Point To Silicone/Silica and High Density Polyethlyene Fibers
And, of course, the Daily Intelligence Briefing:
– Coup against Maliki reportedly in the works
– Afghanistan attacks on the increase
– US nukes return to South Korea
– Gazans building ‘underground city’
– Boeing: The CIA’s travel agent?
– L.A. launches probe into dumping of homeless