It was another interesting show today. Our guest was Anna Baltzer, author of the new book Witness in Palestine: Journal of a Jewish American Woman in the Occupied Territories. She offered a perspective on life in the West Bank that most of us don’t get from American media.
I understand the reluctance of some callers to sympathize with her point of view. She’s young enough to be the daughter of many of us (I remember how my parents were convinced I’d been brainwashed by my college professors), and our media puts forward a view of the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians that is generally favorable to Israel.
Sometimes it’s good to step outside our comfort zone to take in a new perspective — as long as you’re not so open-minded that your brain falls out.
The Daily Intelligence Briefing:
– Diebold voting machine source code leaked again
– US teacher exiled to Canada
– US military and planted propaganda
– Three US strike groups line up in Persian Gulf
– Israel finds 39 Russian missiles in Lebanon
– Israel confirms use of white phosphorus in Lebanon
– Saudis bring Hamas leader to Jeddah for talks
– Foreign fighters entering Gaza
– US holds secret talks with Iraqi insurgents
– Putin says Georgia heading for ‘bloodbath’
– Police destroy suspicious package in Kansas City